From my daily browsing and reading time, I selected ten links that I found interesting both in the cultural and digital realms (and at their intersection). As you will see, the subjects vary from the attacks in Brasilia, to AR glasses, to Marina Abramović. This is a weekly feature, on every Monday. I hope you enjoy it.
- Eleven everyday designs reimagined for people with disabilities
From tableware to clothing, this roundup spotlights 11 everyday designs rethought by designers to maximise accessibility and inclusivity.
- ‘The value of what was destroyed is incalculable’: Brazilian authorities assess artworks damaged by rioting Bolsonaro supporters
An extensive report chronicles the state of objects in the national collection following the riot in Brasília on 8 January
- TCL unveils AR glasses that overlay the world with digital info
Chinese electronics brand TCL has launched a pair of augmented-reality glasses at CES 2023 called RayNeo X2, with features including language translation and GPS navigation.
- France’s Ministry of Culture Is Pushing Forward a Trio of Groundbreaking Laws That May Have Sweeping Effects on Restitution
The proposed laws respectively address items looted during World War 2, human remains, and other looted objects, including those from the colonial era.
- Apple Tries Again With a Second-Gen $299 HomePod
This Siri speaker comes with upgrades to audio quality and smart home automation—but yes, it’s still expensive.
- ‘It’s Not a Dying Art Form, Only a Changing One’: Marina Abramović on the Transformative Power of Opera
Read the performance artist’s contribution to the forthcoming book ‘The Last Days of the Opera.
- What Makes a Good Arts District?
Along Phoenix’s Roosevelt Row, development has pushed out several art spaces during the last decade, resulting in a “manufactured” arts district.
- Routine Desire: a racy new 2023 calendar subverts erotica as we know it
‘Routine Desire’, a new 2023 calendar curated and designed by Angelique Piliere, sees 12 contemporary artists toy with notions of erotic fantasy
- What to do in Bangkok: the culture-hungry traveller’s guide
Tour Bangkok: what to do and see in the city, from dazzling restaurants and retail to inspiring art galleries and happening hotels, as reviewed by Wallpaper* contributor Shawn Adams
- ChatGPT Stole Your Work. So What Are You Going to Do?
Creators need to pressure the courts, the market, and regulators before it’s too late.
If, during your travels through the Wild Wild Web you find a link that catches your attention, let me know. I’ll take a look and, if I also find it interesting, it will make the following week’s list.
Images: Belt by Camille Vivier; right: Red Pump by Torbjørn Rødland, in Routine Desire 2023 calendar.
(Image credit: Courtesy of Camille Vivier (left) Torbjorn Rodland (right))
Leave A Comment